Sports Nonsense

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Nonsense

2 posters

New interview with McGwire

Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

New interview with McGwire Empty New interview with McGwire

Post  Rick F Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/commishs-hot-stove/commishs-hot-stove/2010/01/mcgwire-interview-with-post-dispatch/

Highlights from Joe Strauss’ interview this afternoon with Mark McGwire:

“It’s funny how things work out. I knew this day was going to come, when or how or in what forum I wasn’t sure. Becoming the hitting coach has given me this forum to sit back and be honest and come clean. This morning has been one of the toughest days of my life.”

On speaking about steroid usage:

“I’ve been telling my family and friends and coaches. I’ve left messages for some former teammates. This is the first time they’ve ever heard me talk about it. I hid it from everybody. The man upstairs only gives you things you can handle on this earth. This is another roadblock I have to run through.”

On speaking today:

“There have been built up emotions I’ve had inside me a good five years now. … I want to come clean. I want to move on after this. I don’t want any distractions with becoming a hitting coach, or for the team in St. Louis. My suggestion is let’s do this. I know it’s going to be rough the next 48 hours or so but I think I’m strong enough to get through it. It was a very regrettable thing to do. I can’t apologize any more than to say I’m sorry to anybody close to me.”

On the delay in speaking:

“It probably could have happened earlier. We had a lot of things going on. The World Series was still going on, the announcements of two possible Cy Youngs and an MVP in St. Louis. Then the winter meetings, then Thanksgiving. I didn’t want to be a distraction for any of that stuff. Today’s the day I’m coming clean and telling people I wish had never taken steroids. It was foolish.”

More on the delay:

“I didn’t know when or if I was ever going to get back in uniform. I knew someday that I would have to face it and talk about it. Being offered the job and accepting the job with the Cardinals, I’m totally excited and can’t wait to get started. It’s given me the platform to do this, to come clean and to apologize to Major League Baseball and everybody and try to move on from this. To understand that was the era I played in. I wholeheartedly wish there was drug testing back in the day I played. I commend Commissioner Selig and the Players Association for cracking down on this and having tough drug policy. It distracts people from even thinking about it …

On the reason for using:

“It was totally about injuries. I was a walking MASH unit.”

On disappearing after ‘05:

“I never read any of that stuff. When I retired, I retired. The reason I retired, I wanted to start a family. I didn’t know if I’d ever get back in baseball. I just moved on. From friends talking I knew that maybe I was taking a lot of hits. I just picked up and moved on. That’s the way I looked at it. I wanted to be around my kids and just enjoy life. It wasn’t about me retiring and wanting to get back in baseball again. I just wanted to blend into society and be able to take them to soccer games, stuff like that.

On disclosures to confidantes:

“It was the first time they’ve ever heard me talk about this. I was so emotional. I hid this from everybody. That’s just the way I was. I kept things to myself, even about my hitting. Nobody ever asked me for advice as a hitter. I never offered it as a player. I was one of those guys who kept to myself. … Today is the first time Dave McKay, Barry Weinberg, Tony La Russa or Mr. DeWitt have heard any of this.”
    ralworth
    ralworth

New interview with McGwire Empty Re: New interview with McGwire

Post  ralworth Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:49 am

What about all the crying?
    Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

New interview with McGwire Empty Re: New interview with McGwire

Post  Rick F Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am

New interview with McGwire McGwire_Costas_Interveiw
    ralworth