Sports Nonsense

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Nonsense

3 posters

Frank Thomas retiring

Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

Frank Thomas retiring Empty Frank Thomas retiring

Post  Rick F Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsPMCcGGlOgu7IEJuapfra45nYcB?slug=ap-thomasretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

Guess I had kinda assumed he was already retired but this makes it official. His numbers are certainly HoF worthy and I haven't really heard a cloud of suspicion around him like other players from that era. But he was a pretty big guy, and it seems like everyone is under some kind of suspicion. It will be interesting to see if his name creeps up on one of those lists when his HoF eligibility kicks in. Sure does sound like the guy was a dick though. Always heard him fighting it out with management no matter what team he was on.
    Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

Frank Thomas retiring Empty Re: Frank Thomas retiring

Post  Rick F Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/frank-thomas-house-former/view/?service=1

Take a look at his former house. I remember seeing it in SI some years ago when they did a special on famous athlete's homes. Looks like the white house.
    Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

Post  Rick F Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Another pic from the back of the house

Frank Thomas retiring 85990349
    ed moyer
    ed moyer

Post  ed moyer Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 pm

That is rediculous. What a nice house. I personally don't think he juiced as he was just a big fellow from his Auburn football days. He always had the same frame and with his lengthy career I think he did it the right way. Your right Rick he was sometimes a headache for management, and could argue balls and strikes with the best of him. I remember growing up though I could not get enough Griffey and Big Frank baseball cards...I still will never forget when I got his 90 leaf card after buying a pack. It was like 120 bucks at the time...now not worth much.
    techierick
    techierick

Post  techierick Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Dan. that's ridiculous. I think you could fit Camden Yards in that lot.
    Rick F
    Rick F
    Admin

Post  Rick F Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm

ed moyer wrote:That is rediculous. What a nice house. I personally don't think he juiced as he was just a big fellow from his Auburn football days. He always had the same frame and with his lengthy career I think he did it the right way. Your right Rick he was sometimes a headache for management, and could argue balls and strikes with the best of him. I remember growing up though I could not get enough Griffey and Big Frank baseball cards...I still will never forget when I got his 90 leaf card after buying a pack. It was like 120 bucks at the time...now not worth much.

Yeah I think Frank Thomas was probably clean. You're right he actually went to Auburn on a football scholarship instead of baseball. I read this on wikipedia about him

As early as 1995, Thomas was advocating drug testing for professional baseball players. After hitting his 500th home run, Thomas stated, "It means a lot to me because I did it the right way," alluding to Barry Bonds's then-ongoing pursuit of Hank Aaron's career home run record. Thomas was the only active baseball player to be interviewed during the preparation of the Mitchell Report. He did so voluntarily.

Definitely helps his cause that he was advocating drug testing in the mid 90's when roids were running rampant. He also volunteered to be interviewed for the Mitchell Report. The only active player to be interviewed. So unless it was all a smoke screen sounds legit to me. With all of the inflated numbers from some of the other guys it definitely makes his numbers look that much more impressive.
    techierick
    techierick

Post  techierick Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 am

I tend to think Hurt did it the Babe Ruth way. Hot dogs and beer man, hot dogs and beer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:38 am